There’s something about the coming of Summer, this delightfully sunny season, and the dewy humidity in the air that says one thing: BAR-B-QUE. It’s definitely the most wonderfully meaty time of year and lets be serious… meat on the spit sounds like it would be the perfect meal at almost any event. With today being National Brisket Day, how can we not have the best of bar-b-que on our minds?! Another reason to love the great city of Nashville, is its only a few hours drive from Memphis, the home of BBQ… but no need to drive out of town, we certainly know how to give West Tennessee a run for their money! Here are just a few (strong emphasis on few, there are sooo many good ones!) local barbecue eats you should seek out when in the neighborhood:
- Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint… An undisputed champ of pure, whole hog yum! You’ve probably seen them featured on several Food Network shows and deservingly so.
- Hog Heaven… Don’t let the size of the small white shack fool you, this place has a wide variety of deliciousness to choose from that won’t disappoint.
- Smoke Et Al… Barbecue on the move! Follow them on Twitter to cite their location. We suggest the brisket tacos and fiddler’s biscuits.
- Jack’s Bar-B-Que… If you have visions of dry rub and that perfect hickory smoked ring, Jack’s is a must.
- Peg Leg Porker… A powerhouse of passion goes into this West Tennessee style barbecue and can be found in the popular Gulch neighborhood.
- Jim N’ Nicks… Although these guys started in Birmingham, we forgive them for not being Tennessee natives since their low and slow style is so darn good!
Here are a few shots captured by Dreier & Company that make us all crave that smell of sweet, meaty bar-b-que smoke and sauce!
– Dreier & Company